Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A very special student!

Back in 1990... I was teaching Fine Arts at the East Harlem Performing Arts School. Seems like a million years ago. I met so many truly wonderful people there. Some as colleagues, but so many as students. It is a very great pleasure when I reconnect with one of them. After a long gap in our relationship, Laala Matias, a bubbling full-of-life, sparkling spirit with a scary-smart mind reconnected with me through facebook. As some added icing on the cake she just shared with me this photo taken of the 2 of us back in the day... that day was 20 years ago and the picture was taken in my classroom - She, 13ish - Me, 41 (I think).

I think it's remarkable how kindred spirits separated by background and age manage to find each other. It certainly pleases me to know this one!

(Caption from Laala's own facebook page
)
"In 7th grade with art teacher/visionary, Mark Gura. This was at the height of my Hippie phase."


PS - I just came across this (related) article:
"On Facebook, Telling Teachers How Much They Meant" http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/14/nyregion/14facebook.html?_r=1
But, hey, the appreciation cuts both ways!

2 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home